Efforts to work on disaster clean up have been happening through the work of various people and congregations throughout the district. We want to update you on the progress and alert you to the needs that are ongoing.
THANK YOU to the following:
- Congregations and individuals who have donated to the flood relief for Iowa and Nebraska. Currently, $27,000 has been donated and is a blessing to families in IA and NE who were affected by the flooding.
- Pastor Seth Kaiser, Trinity Glenwood's disaster team and the many members who have and are preparing meals and offering help to many who are relocated in Glenwood.
- Pastor Roger Carlisle and members, Peace, Wall Lake for the organization, purchase, and collection of items delivered to NE.
- Speed and his crew from Cookies BB sauce who fed 300 people on Tuesday in Glenwood.
- Tracy Stetzel and a team from St John, Casey who served a meal and worked at the distribution center at Glenwood on April 29
- A team from St.Paul, Ankeny who served in Pacific Junction on May 4.
- A team from Faith, Adel who helped clean out houses in Pacific Junction May 3-4.
- A team from Living Faith, Clive who helped clean out houses in Pacific Junction May 3
- The volunteers with the SW LERT team and all their past and continuing work at Hamburg
- Teams from Christ Lutheran, Lincoln, NE who have donated many needed items, food, and muscle for clean up.
I am in contact with the leaders in Glenwood and Pacific Junction. The Glenwood Resource/Distribution Center for Glenwood and Pacific Junction currently need the following (as of May 1, 2019) Address: 111 Lacey St, Glenwood IA
- Tote tubs with lids--all sizes
- 30 Gallon trash cans with lids
- Bug Spray
- Box fans
- First aid kits
- People to serve lunch and evening meals. People to donate a cooked meal OR frozen meals that they can use as needed. Contact Monica at 402-505-1266 to schedule.
- People to help work in the distribution center. If you have a large group, call Ellie Menz or if you have one or two, you can just 'show up'.
Workers are needed in Pacific Junction. I asked Clydie Nelson, who is organizing the volunteers if they prefer that people call to register that they are coming. She said that at this time, "Just come! We need so much help!" Things to know if you go to Pacific Junction:
- Come into Pacific Junction at the south entrance.
- If asked for a reference when you get there, give them Clydie Nelson's name (402-650-2533)
- Take boots and any tools that you'd use to remove sheetrock.
- Contact me about hazmat suits, masks, and gloves. Be sure to take boots.
- Meals will be served at the Glenwood Resource Center 111 Lacey St in Glenwood.
- Before you go, please contact me for additional information. Call me at 515-370-1159
If you wish to donate to the Iowa District West Disaster Relief Fund, go to the district website (www.iowadistrictwest.org). Click on the 'donate' button and designate 'Disaster Relief' or send a check to:
Iowa District West-Flood Relief
409 Kenyon Rd Suite B
Fort Dodge, IA 50501
Thank you and God's blessings, Ellie Menz
Special thanks to all who have been working and/or donating to help with the disaster flood relief of Iowa and Nebraska. May the Lord continue to use each of us and our congregations to make a difference in the lives of those who are going through challenging times.